Clavamox is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is highly effective in treating bacterial infections in dogs and cats. It is also used to treat periodontal disease in dogs. Clavamox contains two active ingredients: Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium. These ingredients work to treat skin, bone, mouth and bladder infections, pneumonia, abscesses, and cellulitis. This medicine is also effective against Strep, Staph, E. Coli and Pasteurella. It cannot, however, treat viral or parasitic infections. Except for cats and dogs that are allergic or sensitive to penicillin, this medication is well tolerated and presents few side effects. Clavanox is most effective when administered after meals. While safe for dogs and cats, Clavamox may be fatal to smaller animals like rabbits, hamsters, and other rodents. There is no generic form of this drug.
Broad spectrum antibiotic
Well tolerated with very few side effects
Safe for dogs and cats
Upon consultation with a veterinarian, a dosage appropriate to the weight of the animal and the condition being treated should be administered orally, two to three times daily. The duration of the administration is also dependant on the condition being treated and the response to the initial doses. The medication should be continued for the length that the veterinarian recommends, regardless of whether the pet is feeling improved or not, in order to prevent a relapse or the buildup of a resistance. The maximum treatment should not exceed 30 days.
The synergetic, dual action nature of Clavamox allows it to treat a wide range of bacteria without them developing a resistance. Clavamox has little to no reported side effects and is safe for all but those with allergy sensitivities to penicillin.
Clavamox can cause an upset stomach in some cases. Some animals, mainly dogs, may vomit shortly after taking it; others may experience nausea, or develop diarrhea. Eating prior to ingesting the drug may help, since it will decrease the irritation to the stomach.
The amoxicillin in Clavamox is a semi-synthetic of penicillin, and can cause allergic reactions; it should be avoided by an animal known to be sensitive to such allergies.